Virtual: Wildlife Tax Valuation & Land Stewardship 101
3 Zoom Classes and 1 optional in-person socially distanced tour- January 8th,15th. Feb 5th and 12th.
Instructed by Rufus Stephens, wildlife biologist, ecologist and author of Attracting Birds in the Texas Hill Country, this comprehensive program will guide landowners through the requirements for Wildlife Tax Valuation with emphasis on promoting healthy habitats for song-birds. Attendees will complete the workshop ready to submit an application for a Wildlife Tax Valuation.
Zoom Day I: What Wildlife Can I Manage on My Property?
Jan 8th, 9 am – 2:30 pm
With David Langford, Craig Hensley and Rufus Stephens.
- David Langford, former president of the Texas Wildlife Association, will discuss the intentions and efforts that led to the creation of the Wildlife Tax Valuation, and most importantly, the importance of maintaining this legal designation by fulfilling its intention.
- Rufus Stephens will provide an overview of wildlife management planning, methods for assessing ecosystems and wildlife populations, and online tools and resources that assist planning.
- Craig Hensley, from Texas Parks and Wildlife, will discuss bird census and plant diversity for attracting birds
Zoom Day II: What Do I Need to Do to Manage Wildlife?
Jan 15th, 9 am – 2:30 pm
With Rufus Stephens and Will Newman
- Rufus Stephens will cover management practices to promote and monitor native wildlife diversity, including: Habitat Planning, Supplemental Food & Shelter, Predator Control, and Deer Management
- Will Newman from Texas Parks and Wildlife will discuss land restoration and grants to help fund land restoration
Zoom Day III: How Do I put It All Together?
Feb 5th, 9 am – 11 am
With Rufus Stephens, Shelby Presley and Dusty Bruns
- Dusty Bruns, an award winning rancher, will discuss stocking rates and herd rotation practices that promote healthy habitats and increase landscape productivity.
- Shelby Presley, Kendall County Tax Assessors, will discuss the process of submission and review that Wildlife Tax Valuation
- Rufus Stephens will address any questions you may have about your management plan.
Socially Distanced Habitat Tour.
Feb 12th, 9 am – 11 am @ Cibolo Nature Center (140 City Park Rd.)
With Ben Eldredge, Director of Land Stewardship
- Ben Eldredge, Director of Land Stewardship, will tour the center’s four habitats and discuss management practices implemented on the center’s 160 acres.